Shopping at AliExpress is very convenient when everything goes as planned: pay, receive your product, done!
However, it can get somehow cumbersome when unexpected events happen, such as refunds and returns.
If you’ve been struggling with the refund process on AliExpress or you’re about to start one, we’re here to help.
We piled up a list of frequently asked questions about AliExpress refunds and how to successfully get them.
- What’s AliExpress Refund Policy?
- How to Claim a Refund on AliExpress?
- How Long Do AliExpress Refunds Take?
- Will I Get a Refund if I Cancel Orders Awaiting Shipment on AliExpress?
- In What Currency Will I receive My Refund on AliExpress?
- How Long Would It Take to Get a AliExpress Refund if I Cancel an Order from AliExpress Within a Few Minutes of Ordering?
- What Can I Do If I Canceled My Order on AliExpress by Mistake, and I Didn’t Get a Refund?
- Can I Get a Refund after Buyer Protection Has expired on AliExpress?
- Can a seller refuse to cancel my order on AliExpress?
- How To Get a Full Refund on AliExpress?
- Does AliExpress Refund Shipping Fees?
- What Happens When an AliExpress Seller Doesn’t Ship the Order?
- How Does Canceling an Unpaid Order on AliExpress Work?
While you’re here, you might want to check other guides on the Chinese giant, AliExpress. We wrote about AliExpress VAT for the EU and UK, AliExpress Sales Tax for the US, AliExpress Disputes FAQ, and Comprehensive Guide to Successful AliExpress Disputes.
What’s AliExpress Refund Policy?
You are eligible for a refund from AliExpress if you
- Cancel your order before the seller ships it
- Receive a counterfeit product
- Receive a product that is different in color, size, quality, or quantity from the advertised
- Receive an order past its estimated delivery time
- Don’t receive your order by the estimated delivery time
In all these scenarios, you are entitled to at least a partial refund. The refund will be processed differently depending on why you’re requesting it.
If you made a purchase on AliExpress and decided to cancel it a few days after, you can get your money by following these steps:
- Head over to your orders page on AliExpress.
- Select the order you want to cancel.
- Click the “cancel order” button next to your order. You will only see this button if your order is still being processed by the seller and is “Awaiting Shipment.” If it’s not there, you cannot cancel your order at this stage.
- Choose the reason for your order cancelation from the drop-down menu. Cancelation reasons could be making the order by mistake, item out of stock, or other reasons.
AliExpress recommends that you contact the seller for their approval of your cancelation request for a quicker refund.
Sellers have 72 hours to respond to your request. If they don’t respond, your refund will be processed automatically.
If you want a refund for any other reason other than order cancelation, you must open a dispute on AliExpress.
How to Claim a Refund on AliExpress?
You can claim a refund on AliExpress if you’re in one of these scenarios:
- You received a counterfeit product
- You received a product that is different in color, size, quality, or quantity from the advertised
- You received an order past its estimated delivery time
- You don’t receive your order by the estimated delivery time
After you gather all the documents and evidence to support your claims, such as pictures and video recordings, you can go ahead and open a dispute. To do so, you should:
- Head over to your AliExpress orders page, and select the order you wish to dispute
- Click the “open dispute” button and choose refund as the type of compensation
- Set the refund amount
- State whether the order has been received
- Provide any required information
- Upload all supporting documents and images
- Submit dispute
The seller has 15 days to respond to your claim and negotiate an amicable agreement with you without the intervention of AliExpress.
If the seller is uncooperative or unresponsive, you can escalate your claim to AliExpress within three days of initiating the dispute.
With the intervention of the AliExpress case management team, you and the seller will be asked to present all supporting evidence.
AliExpress will review the case and make a determination. They will decide whether you will get a refund and its amount.
Read our detailed AliExpress refund process that also covers what you can do if AliExpress’s determination is unsatisfactory to you.
How Long Do AliExpress Refunds Take?
AliExpress refunds can take anywhere from 3 to 20 business days, depending on the payment method and your refund reason.
Usually, refunds are processed within 5 to 10 days. You should be able to check your refund status on your orders page.
It could take more time if services such as BNPL are used.
Will I Get a Refund if I Cancel Orders Awaiting Shipment on AliExpress?
Yes, Aliexpress will refund you if you cancel your order before it is shipped. Check the first question on this list for more details on order cancelation and refunds.
In What Currency Will I receive My Refund on AliExpress?
AliExpress will refund you in the same currency you made the purchase. It will use the conversion rate of the purchase date so that you are refunded the exact amount you paid, including VAT or sales tax, in case of a full refund.
How Long Would It Take to Get a AliExpress Refund if I Cancel an Order from AliExpress Within a Few Minutes of Ordering?
When you cancel an AliExpress order within a few minutes of placing it, you will still need to wait for the seller’s approval and then wait for AliExpress to process it.
The processing time can be anywhere between three and 20 business days but generally takes less.
What Can I Do If I Canceled My Order on AliExpress by Mistake, and I Didn’t Get a Refund?
When you cancel your order and it is approved by the seller, AliExpress will start processing your refund directly. Your refund should take no more than 20 business days after your cancelation request is approved.
Make sure you have waited long enough for the refund to be processed by AliExpress. If 20 business days have passed, and you still haven’t received your refund, please contact AliExpress customer service. You can also contact your bank to get any available details.
Can I Get a Refund after Buyer Protection Has expired on AliExpress?
Getting a refund after AliExpress buyer protection expires depends on the reason you’re requesting a refund.
If you’re requesting a refund because your order never arrived and is way past the delivery time, you can get a refund even after buyer protection is expired.
If you still have your tracking number, you can open a dispute and attest that your order never arrived. However, you probably won’t receive a full refund.
If you’re requesting a refund for items that you received but are unsatisfied with, your only chance to get a refund is if you’re still covered by buyer protection.
Regardless, you may be able to extend your buyer protection if your seller is a genuine and trustworthy one.
Can a seller refuse to cancel my order on AliExpress?
Yes, the seller will receive your order cancelation request and decide to approve or refuse it.
A seller can refuse your order cancelation request because they don’t want to lose any money they spent while processing your order or get a bad reputation on AliExpress.
To avoid any complications, contact the seller and explain why you need to cancel your order and urge them to approve it.
How To Get a Full Refund on AliExpress?
To get a full refund on AliExpress, you must be in one of these scenarios:
- Your order hasn’t arrived
- You received a counterfeit product
- The seller is evidently at-fault and agrees to a full refund during dispute negotiations.
Getting a full refund is only 100% guaranteed when you receive a fake product, as stated in the AliExpress buyer protection.
Bear in mind that ONLY products that are covered by Guaranteed genuine, a badge that you will see on the seller’s store page, are guaranteed to receive a full refund if found counterfeit.
To get a full refund after a dispute, make sure you have strong evidence to substantiate your claim.
The AliExpress case management team will review your case and determine the compensation that you deserve.
If you provide visual proof, such as images of damaged products or a video recording of unboxing an order, you might succeed at getting all your money back.
Does AliExpress Refund Shipping Fees?
AliExpress will refund the shipping fees if you receive a counterfeit product that was supposed to be genuine.
Moreover, if your seller provides the Free Return service, a service offered for purchases from warehouses within the buyer’s country, you can ship the item back for free and get a full refund.
However, for orders that are not covered by Guaranteed Genuine or Free Return, the shipping fees will be deducted by the seller in addition to any processing fees incurred. Therefore, AliExpress will not refund the shipping fees to you.
Also, any return fees that incur when you return an order are your responsibility and will not be paid nor refunded by AliExpress.
What Happens When an AliExpress Seller Doesn’t Ship the Order?
If the seller doesn’t ship the order by due time, AliExpress will cancel the order automatically and refund your payment.
You will know if the order is shipped from the order details page, and you will receive a tracking number for the order.
How Does Canceling an Unpaid Order on AliExpress Work?
To cancel an unpaid order on AliExpress, you can simply head over to the orders page and click the “cancel order” button next to it.